Re: __IEEE_*_ENDIAN vs. BYTE_ORDER

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 23:56, Jeff Johnston wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >>Thanks, I see how this works.
> >>
> >>However, wouldn't it be cleaner to separate BYTE_ORDER from
> >>__IEEE_*_ENDIAN, to implement a sys/endian.h header and use this header
> >
> > Sorry, typo: s,sys/endian.h,machine/endian.h,
> >

> >>in sys/params.h, similar to the way BSD handles this issue?
> >

> I went back and took another look at this.
FYI: I haven't yet tried your patch, yet and have been patch using a
machine/endian.h instead.

>   Actually, sys/param.h is already
> being overridden when necessary by various platforms.  The ARM is one of these
> and you will see a special sys/param.h in the libc/sys/arm directory.

Well, I should have been more precise: My target is arm-rtems. This
target applies libc/sys/rtems/param.h and ignores libc/sys/<cpu>/param.h

<thinking>
Why libc/arm/sys/param.h? Shouldn't sys/*.h headers be reserved for
OS-dependent headers and shouldn't architecture dependent headers better
go to machine/*.h?
</thinking>

>   In this
> file, a check is made for __ARMEB__ rather than the default above.

Hmm, I need to check the details, but if what you say applies, this
would either mean a bug in RTEMS support files in newlib or a general
issue configuration issue in newlib.

Ralf