Re: Applying CRX port to Newlib project

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Johnston wrote :
> 2. You should not require a libc/sys directory.  We now have
>      new ports put their init files / syscalls in libgloss.  However, I
have
>      noted you have sys header files which aren't in the ChangeLog
below.  Do
>      you require these to be installed for the end-user?  If so, we will
have
>      to do something special here as the current system requires you
build in
>      the sys directory.

Several things :
*** I would like the sys header files under libc/sys/crx/sys to be
installed in the user's sys directory (I'm sorry i screwed up in the
ChangeLog).
I know it can be done from libgloss quite easily.
*** Also the init file (crt0.o) can be compiled and copied easily through
libgloss (i already do it for crti.o/crtn.o).
*** The only problem i came up with, which i didn't find a way do avoid
using libc/sys, is the override of the getenv.o in libc.a (we do not
support 'environ',
thus treating getenv as a low-level function). I noticed that other
architectures do these kind of things as well (e.g., a29khif).
*** Even when my only intention was to override getenv using libc/sys, i
noticed that crt0.o must be provided as well, so i moved it from libgloss
to libc/sys.
*** If you can provide me a better way to do so, I'll be happy to
implement all the rest (crt0.o and sys header files) via libgloss.

Jeff Johnston wrote :
>  1. You have no licensing in your files, just a copyright.
>      You should talk to your employer to see what is acceptable.
>      Newlib prefers BSD-compatible or freer.  GPL or proprietary code is
not
>      accepted.

I noticed that many architectures doesn't provide any copyright (nor
licensing) in their files.
Is it agreeable to remove all 'National Semiconductor Corporation'
copyright from headers of CRX files, as a solution for this legal issue ?
If yes, would you like me to send you new patches, without National's
copyright ?

Many thanks for your prompt help.

Regards,
      Tomer Levi

Software Engineer                                   phone:
+49-8141-35-1378
CompactRISC Development Tools  fax:        +49-8141-35-11-1378
National Semiconductor GmbH         mailto:Tomer.Levi@nsc.com
Livry-Gargan Str. 10                                internet:
http://www.national.com
82256 Fuerstenfeldbruck, Germany