Re: RTEMS patch sweep: stdint.h/inttypes.h

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 18:30 -0500, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> Why is machine/_types.h in a shared directory?
>
> I guess what I'm saying is: what is the point of adding these defines
> globally if they are only being used by rtems?

They are not only used by RTEMS.

* machine/_types.h is a BSD-feature.
* __intXX_t and __uintXX_t types are BSD-types.

Sources having been derived from BSD offen apply them instead of their
POSIX counterparts (stdint.h/inttypes.h), because these types predate
C99 and stdint.h/inttypes.h had not been available on pre-c99 systems.

>  This stuff is really platform specific
>  and shouldn't be filled with crazy ifdef logic.
This approach avoids having to use separate "machine/_types.h" files,
which I consider to be a nightmare to maintain.

They simply are too error-prone, esp. on non-mainstream targets.

>   However, it seems the damage is done, so I've come up with another
> idea.  A better soultion would be to add a "machine" directory for
> each platform and put it there.

This is the approach, which I consider to be crazy, to use your words. I
prefer generic solutions and prefer to avoid specializations/table-based
approaches whenever possible.

>   That way, each platform could modify it to their needs.  This is how
> GLIBC does it, so I see no reason why we can't.
I don't see any reason to do so, the stuff in machine/_types.h is
generic and doesn't need to be handled separately.

Ralf