Re: Snapshot vs. CVS

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
I'ld like some advice -- most likely from Jeff but other input is
welcome.

When I pull in a subsystem for integration, my usual practice is to try
to stick to "releases" and patch minimally. For newlib this means that I
picked up the 1.13.0 tarball. So far, ignoring my port-specific patches,
the only patch I have needed has been the "_ctype_b" patch.

I've just run into the stdint.h issue. I need it, and looking over the
mailing list I can see that (a) this is a current issue under
discussion, and (b) it's addressed in the CVS tree.

I'm tempted to move forward to the CVS current branch, but I don't have
time to be patching this every day. Which raises two questions:

(1) How stable is the CVS tree at the moment? I.e. how often do I need
to be planning to update?

Let me start by addressing the stability of the tarballs. The tarballs are simply snapshots of the tree usually once a year (December). The tarball is also usually tested by the RTEMS folks and if they raise a flag, I will rebuild it. There is no special stress testing on this end other than I will ensure the x86 linux builds and can run some sample programs.

The CVS tree is being constantly used by the Cygwin folks in their nightly build and they usually speak out immediately when something causes a problem in the shared code. We don't have experimental phases like you might find in gcc or other projects (e.g. a new parser being tried out). It is a little more straightforward because we are for the most part dealing with functions that are well-defined.

If the December time frame works for you, then start using CVS knowing that 1.14 will be a snapshot of CVS in December.

(2) Do you have an approximate sense of when the next snap is likely to
be taken? I suppose I'm really asking: are things presently in an
"active development" phase, or are they anticipated to be entering a
"trying to coverge to snapshot" phase some time soon?

December time-frame for 1.14. Things presently are in normal state whereby any fixes / enhancements are looked at. I usually announce the snapshot is coming and those who have been sitting on fixes are encouraged to send them in. In the end, I don't discourage any fixes to be submitted when I'm about to cut the snapshot but eventually I make the cutoff. December is usually slower anyway because of the upcoming holidays.

-- Jeff J.

I can handle it either way. I'm trying to assess what sort of time
allocation I need to assign to newlib.

Thanks!

shap