x86_64 target

Well, I noticed today a conspicuous absence of any x86_64 target
directory. Coyotos will want one. I recognize that this CPU is not right
at the top of the list of popular embedded processors just yet. :-)

Is somebody working on this already? If not, is there a consensus about
how deep the swamp would be?

Writing the arch-specific support doesn't worry me. Tracking down any
lingering 32-bit dependencies in the rest of the library does, so before
I tackle this I would appreciate some input:

  1. Does newlib currently work for any *other* 64-bit target? What
     has the experience been with this?
  2. Is there broader interest in an x86_64 target where we might
     collaborate with others?
  3. Is it anticipated that this would be a moderately painful effort
     at the level of receiving a punitive flogging, or is this more
     towards the "dismembering myself slowly using a dull butter knife"
     end of the pain spectrum? :-)

Input appreciated.

shap