Re: Building an XIP application on arm-elf

Shaun Jackman wrote:
Hello Jeff,

On 2/23/06, Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@redhat.com> wrote:

Newlib can only be coerced to build two or more versions of libc.a in
the same build tree through a multilib option.  A multilib solution also
automatically takes care of libgcc.a and any other target libraries for you.

multilib does seem like a good way to build a PIC libc.a. Which files
would I need to modify to add a 'pic' multilib that adds -fPIC to
TARGET_CFLAGS?

If you have gcc checked out, take a look at gcc/gcc/config/arm/t-arm-elf

You specify options plus directory names. You can also specify exceptions (i.e. combinations that should not be built). For example, you might not be interested in permutating thumb with -fPIC in your case.

Yes, the arm-linux configuration knows to add -fPIC, but not arm-elf, if
I read the gcc/config/arm files correctly.  I'm not sure how you
override the target flags in this case.

Does arm-linux build libc.a as PIC by default as well, or is only
libc.so compiled as PIC? I get the impression that a statically linked
PIC executable is a rather unusual request, and untrodden ground.

The arm-linux configured gcc compiler adds the -fPIC option by default when building libgcc. Look at t-linux in the same directory as t-arm-elf above.

Thanks,
Shaun