Re: Q: should it work?

Shaun,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

I must admit I didn't look good enough at the voxware site to figure out
that the tar files are still there, even though the install directory
pointed to by the gnuwince.html page is missing.

A quick resume of what I found and experienced this far :
- I started using Shauns stuff from the debian ftp server a while ago
  (I'm not using Debian so I recompiled it.)
- Even though Shaun says this cannot be used to build apps that provide
  a windows user interface, I've been able to do so (but not every
  windowing API appears to work).
- To do that, I've implemented some workarounds that I'd like to get rid
  of. Also maybe some of the limitations can be lifted by further work.
  I was thinking about doing that, but am inclined to start off with a
  more up to date source distribution, to at least have a chance on the
  GCC/binutils folks pick up the patches.

By the way I have a standard PocketPC (a Mio 168) and a PC with
Mandriva, and I'd like to develop GUI apps for the PocketPC. As an
experiment I'm porting Xinvest (http://xinvest.sunsite.dk).

What I am missing :
- Documentation so I know what I'm doing (to be honest, I've been doing
  some trial and error, there has to be a better way).
  I'd like to find out more about the processor (how do you program
  it in assembler, what's the ABI, ..). Also I don't have much info
  on how WinCE really works on this hardware.
- Explanation about the limitations I'm experiencing. I realise that
  the answer I may get is "we don't know".
- A bit of help in getting the new software releases operational, but
  maybe the first thing to do there is figure out which part is broken.
  (Shaun suggests it is gas, but I've blindly upgraded all three
  softwares - gcc, binutils, newlib - so the first thing I should do is
  assess which one is causing the problem.)
- For this last bit : should I theoretically be able to pick up the
  wince stuff from either Shaun's debian distribution or the voxware
  stuff, or are there more up to date versions of that ?

Suggestions ?

	Danny

--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info