Re: Q: should it work?

Pedro Alves <pedro_alves <at> portugalmail.pt> writes:

> Hi Danny!
>
> A few months ago I started doing the same thing. I forward ported all
> the patches I could find to gcc/binutils/newlib/gdb into the newest
> head/trunk versions
> of those projects. My goal was to get Qt4 working for Pocket PC. I have
> successfully ported it, although I never made public announcement, in any
> Qt or kde channel ;) I first wanted to port the sql module. So I say
> GUIs are quite possible ;)
>
> Eventually I created a webpage for my effort so others could use it too.
> Check out: http://cegcc.berlios.de/
> I was never able to get a recent snapshot of binutils working correctly,
> although I tried. Most of the problems were related to getting the
> relocs done right.
> I am now using the version from cvs20050202 + patches, gcc4.1.1trunk,
> and newlib-cvs.
> As for newlib, most of the work is based on Craig's (from Voxware) work.
> I am now in contact with him, and plan on merging my changes
> with his version (Hi Craig ;) ).
>
> I am just now preparing for cegcc-0.0.2 release. I should upload it
> tomorrow.
>
> It would be great if we could join every effort in getting gnu tools
> working for wince.
>
> Cheers,
> Pedro Alves

Hi Pedro,

    I'm very glad to find this msg and I'm trying to solve the cross-gcc
problems all these days. I have tried the cegcc-0.0.1 package and your sample
code from the package works on my pocketpc. I find several problem:
    1. The evc built exe can not load the dll built with cegcc, the program
freez and quit. The dll is only c library and does not contain any GUI codes.I
don't know how to solve this problem.
    2. The cegcc source code does not compile with my cygwin. The binutils
compiles ok but the gcc package will not compile. The following is the error
message:

checking for arm-wince-pe-gcc...
/cygdrive/g/tmp/cross-cegcc/cegcc/build-gcc/./gcc/xgcc
-B/cygdrive/g/tmp/cross-cegcc/cegcc/build-gcc/./gcc/ -nostdinc
-B/cygdrive/g/tmp/cross-cegcc/cegcc/build-gcc/arm-wince-pe/newlib/ -isystem
/cygdrive/g/tmp/cross-cegcc/cegcc/build-gcc/arm-wince-pe/newlib/targ-include
-isystem /cygdrive/g/tmp/cross-cegcc/cegcc/gcc-trunk/newlib/libc/include
-B/usr/local/cegcc/arm-wince-pe/bin/ -B/usr/local/cegcc/arm-wince-pe/lib/
-isystem /usr/local/cegcc/arm-wince-pe/include -isystem
/usr/local/cegcc/arm-wince-pe/sys-include
setting gcc_no_link=yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

B.R.

Andy WU