RE: Can't build: "`CFLAGS' has changed since the previous run"

On 13 July 2006 23:44, Phil Endecott wrote:

> Dear Newlib Experts,
>
> I'm trying to build binutils, gcc and newlib in a unified directory
> structure.  Binutils and gcc seem to build OK, but newlib fails during
> configuration with this odd message:
>
> configure: loading cache .././config.cache
> configure: error: `CFLAGS' has changed since the previous run:
> configure:   former value:  -O2 -g -O2
> configure:   current value: -O2 -g -O2
>
> This was a completely empty build directory, so there was no "previous
> run".  Can anyone guess what is going on?

  One of those has a trailing space and the other one doesn't!  No, actually, I remember now - one of those has two trailing spaces and the other only has one!

  There's a patch against the top-level Makefile.in at

	http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2006/msg00472.html

that should solve the bug.  IIUIC (and we're talking about top-level configure here, so there's no guarantees I do!), it should in fact be applied to Makefile.tpl and then Makefile.in should be regenerated by running

	autogen Makefile.def

(don't know how up-to-date autogen needs to be).

    cheers,
      DaveK