Re: Updating top-level autoconf to 2.59

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
"Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> writes:

* If you want to build an explicitly cross tool despite host == target, or act like you are cross compiling despite build == host, or build a native tool (i.e. one using the native directory layout and installed as plain "gcc") despite host != target, or act like you aren't cross compiling (so can run execute tests for $host) despite build != host, these should be determined by explicit configure options; not by which of build, host and target where specified explicitly and which were defaulted. (And not by older autoconf's experiments to see if it can execute a program built for the host.)

I completely agree that this is how it should work. Unfortunately, this is not how autoconf {2.x,x>13} works. I don't agree with a number of the decisions made by the autoconf maintainers. However, I do think that as long we use autoconf, there is some benefit to be gained by following autoconf's default behaviour.

I'll stick my toe into this discussion.

Much of the discussion seems to be about how autoconf should guess what
the user intended by --host, --build, --target.  When --host or --build
is omitted, autoconf makes guesses about what the user might have
specified, then uses these guesses (as well as the exec test) to determine
whether this is a native or cross build.  The result is that the user
tries to guess how autoconf is trying to guess what the user means.

When user=me, I go crazy. :-)

I would much prefer explicitly specifying that the build is cross or
native.  I want to specify --cross or --native (or the equivalent).
I'd be happy to discard backward compatibility.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077