How do I point out OS includes?

I have successfully built a C/libc only toolchain for my own target, but I had to disable target-libiberty, C++ and libssp. The reason is that I don't know how to tell the gcc build where my OS include files are. This is no problem while building newlib, since I can stuff the necessary -I option into my target's newlib_cflags, but how do I do the corresponding thing for other target libraries? Since it's a cross-build, the OS includes are typically not even in a fixed place -- it depends entirely on where the user has the OS source checked out to.

Top-level --with-headers looks like it would be the thing (apart from the copying part, but I have "rm" available :-) ) but is prominently listed as deprecated in favor or --with-sysroot. The latter however assumes a unix filesystem, and will start stuffing things like "usr/include" onto whatever I put there.

This is just an issue while building the target libraries -- when using the finished toolchain, the appropriate include paths will be added by the build system. Should I use --with-sysroot and simply symlink $ROOT/usr/include back to $ROOT to make gcc happy?

Regards,
ali:)