RE: How do I point out OS includes? -- Or how to Build My Own SDK using Newlib

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

 Or configure gcc using "--with-gnu-as=/my/tool/dir/bin/foo-as
--with-gnu-ld=/my/tool/dir/bin/foo-ld"?

I don't think I ever tried these options since it "just works" with some symlinks -- wouldn't it need at least "ar" and "ranlib" named as well? strip? nm?

 Come to think of that, if you aren't using at least "--with-gnu-as
--with-gnu-ld", it has no idea whether you're using binutils or something
else, so maybe that's why it doesn't infer that --program-prefix is relevant.

I guess I just find it a bit inconsistent that it doesn't check for $program_prefix-$tool as well while it's at it. The natural thing to do (at least in my fluffy little world :-) ) is to install them all with the same prefix: if $target-$tool doesn't exist but $program_prefix is set, it would seem plausible that $program_prefix-$tool exists instead (if I am using binutils at all). I don't know, maybe that would open a can of worms on less obvious configurations than mine. Not exactly a big deal -- evidently, I didn't even care enough myself yet to try to fix it. :-)

You did't tell us what configure options you use for gcc in your post, can we
see your actual binutils and (pre-)gcc configure commands?

For binutils, I only specified --target=foo-bar-baz, --prefix=/my/tooldir and --program-prefix=foo-bar-.

For GCC (4.1.1), I additionally used:

--srcdir=/devel/src/gcc-4.1.1 (Have had problems with configure getting confused without --srcdir on occassion)
--with-float=soft
--with-newlib
--enable-newlib-multithread --enable-target-optspace
--disable-libssp --with-headers=/path/to/source
--enable-languages=c

This works fine for C. I'd like to find out eventually why libssp broke and what's missing to make libstdc++ build, but that's way down on my priority list since I don't use either.

/ali:)