Re: How do I point out OS includes? -- Or how to Build My Own SDK using Newlib

I've followed this conversation with great interest. Some of the
issues I recognize from my own experiance, some of them I don't (the
latter might however very well be due to that I haven't stumbled
across them yet).

Here's my 10 cent worth of contribution:

There's a lot of cross how-to's circulating the Net and I like many
others have learned the hard way by trial-and-error over the years.
I've assembled a how-to of my own from bits and pieces from a little
bit of everywhere:
http://tinker.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki/How_to_build_a_standard_GNU_cross-compiler_tools_chain

IMO there is however an "issue" worth special attention, which is the
actual OS intricacies. In my experience building a Newlib based cross
tool-chain without having Newlib support a specific OS (or kernel) is
a bad idea. Even if one succeeds, one might end up with two different
sets of header files (one belonging to "_my_OS" and the other
belonging to Newlib – the native ones I don't mention since it's
already accurately explained by previous posts). These two are almost
certainly incompatible with each other and there is inherently a great
risk of the final application using the wrong one. One might be able
to compile applications with it this tool-chain, but sooner or later
the miss-matches will show up and the application will misbehave badly
(at best).

I.e.:

--with-newlib --with-headers=[newlib-source]/newlib/libc/include
*should* be enough. If it isn't then the OS in question is not
supported by Newlib.

So then what? Bummer! (...or not?)

IMHO there's only one *proper* way to deal with this and that is to
get "_my_OS_" integrated into the Newlib sources. This however is not
at all as smooth as it might seem. One of the reasons are that we
don't want every single OS or system (invented neither by me nor by my
grand-mother) to be part of the Newlib repository. It would pollute
the Newlib sources and only make it more difficult to maintain. The
only choice then, is for each vendor to maintain each integration
outside of Newlib (which is a lot of tedious work).

====

Alternatively there is another approach that could work. Since a while
ago I've been experimenting with a minimal Newlib patch called HIXS (
http://tinker.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki/HIXS ).

Basically it's a very simple stubbed framework for syscalls (inspired
by the RTEMS folks btw) with the added ability to modify the syscalls
dynamically *after* the whole tool-chain is built.

It has some benefits, but also some drawbacks:

Pros:
+ HIXS is generic and need not to be specially adapted to any
architecture. It should work for all.
+ It will permit a compete build of a cross tool-chain all the way
from binutils to GDB for most architectures (I've tried it on PowerPC,
Blackfin, ARM, x86 and MIPS so far).
+ It will fool most configure scripts using the produced tool-chain
and it will thereby permit a finalized GCC and GDB build (i.e. some of
the GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES nitwits will automagically go away).

Cons:
- It will not produce runnable code (read below)
- It has a slight run-time penalty

HIXS contains simple stubs for all the syscalls. For applications to
work, HIXS however requires an additional code block as part of each
applications (or kernels) boot sequence that binds the real syscalls
to specific function pointers used in each corresponding stub. The
function pointers are global and follow a simple naming convention
which makes the binding process quite pain-less.

I'm not trying to sell HIXS and I'd be happy to learn from others
that's come up with other solutions. All I'm saying is that I believe
we've stumbled across an area that is a real nightmare in all it's
aspects and an area that could be improved.

Best Regards
/Michael