Re: Patch to update libtool in GCC and Src trees

Either way, Steve's existing patch needs to be extended to do _something_ with newlib, and that means a few more days of shakedown so the linux-native-newlib guys can test it.

Agreed.

Ralf W. and I have been working on some refinements for cygwin/mingw libtool in libtool's ToT over the last few weeks. They are not yet ready, and I certainly do not want to hold back gcc progress waiting on libtool: the 20070318 libtool ToT included in Steve's update works fine as demonstrated above. However, now that Steve's done all or most of the _hard_ work, what will be the policy going forward with regards to updating external, but embedded, tools like libtool?

How often will gcc re-import the latest libtool ToT? Any chance of another -- less disruptive! -- update before 4.THREE.0 ships?

If it were only for me, we could commit to syncing libtool ToT periodically at least until libtool 2.0 is out. But I suspect that to convince everybody, libtool would need a more precise notion of stable-ness. After that, it will be the usual mess, the same as for Autoconf and Automake... :-)

Paolo