Re: Running Newlib test cases

Rohit Arul Raj wrote:
On 7/18/07, Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@redhat.com> wrote:
Rohit Arul Raj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to run the test-suites present in the newlib folder.
>
> 1. Is there any documentation available regarding this.

None other than dejagnu documentation.
ok

> 2. I have dejagnu and its dependencies installed. > I tried using > make check-target-newlib RUNTESTFLAGS="-v -v" > But it did not work out. >

I recently tried running the testsuite for i686-pc-linux-gnu and ran
into a problem due to a change that was made in April.  Try the
accompanying patch and see if it helps you.

I'm assuming you have set up the DEJAGNU environment variable to point
to your site.exp file.  What platform are you testing for?  Do you have
an appropriate baseboards exp for it?

Yeah, i have the appropriate baseboard exp for it. I already had the patch that you sent, Bit it did not work.

This is the error i am getting is:
ERROR: (DejaGnu) proc "newlib_target_compile
/home/rohit/newlib-1.14.0/newlib/testsuite/newlib.iconv/iconvru.c
/home/rohit/newlib/testsuite/iconvru.x executable {}" does not exist.
The error code is NONE
The info on the error is:
no files matched glob pattern
"/home/rohit/newlib-1.14.0/newlib/testsuite/newlib.elix/newlib*"
   while executing
"glob /home/rohit//newlib-1.14.0/newlib/testsuite/newlib.elix/newlib*"
invoked from within
"catch "glob ${path}/${pattern}" tmp"

I might suggest trying to upgrade your expect, tcl, dejagnu, and glibc and see if the problem goes away. You might also consider upgrading to newlib-1.15.0 at some point.

> 3. What is the .exp file that has to be exported.

Not sure what you are asking here unless you are referring to the
site.exp file.

> 4. What are the features that the test suites present in newlib and
> libgloss check?

The newlib testsuite is quite small at this point.  A lot of testing of
newlib is performed by third-party testsuites that exercise both the
compiler and library together.  If you look at the different newlib.xx
directories, you'll see what it tests: string functions, iconv,
multibyte character functions, an hsearch test,  the wctype functions,
and there is a minor EL/IX test for i686-pc-linux-gnu only.

The best test there IMO is the string test.  A number of platforms
rewrite the string functions in assembler for speed and they often have
bugs to sort out.  I have found this test useful in the past for finding
these kind of bugs.

The libgloss tests are old and I don't know if they even run any more.

Thanks for the info. Where should i look for third-party testsuites. Are there any standard test-suites available?

Plum Hall is one.

Does gcc test-cases perform testing for newlib also?

Only minimally in the execution tests.

-- Jeff J.

Regards,
Rohit