Re: Building newlib without -mhard-float

On Sep 5, 2007, at 12:27 PM, Jeff Johnston wrote:

My suggestion would be to back off this idea and simply build gcc and newlib without tinkering (disabling multilib and using TARGET_CFLAGS is tinkering). This should give you all the possible arm-elf permutations and the various libraries will be in sync (i.e. newlib generated code won't reference any function that isn't found in libc/libm, libgloss, or libgcc). Then, try and find one set of options that works for your target platform (e.g. arm-elf- gcc -g -mcpu=xscale -msoft-float test.c). If none of the permutations work, then it means you need to add one to gcc's list so that you get a libgcc and newlib/libgloss that are in sync and use the options you want. Adding a multilib is straightforward and has been done before.

Okay. That brings up the stage 1/2 approach someone else suggested I use. A more recent post suggested I not do that, but I wanted to get confirmation.

Since I need to rebuilt GCC (to enable multilib), I want to know: Can I just build, *from scratch*, binutils, gcc, and then build newlib? Or will I face some obstacles in doing so? That is, can I delete (or hide) my existing /usr/local/arm directories and build everything in one pass?

When I build things, should I limit myself to --target=arm-elf and -- with-newlib?

I'll try this, but I'm not sure it will work. However, the thing that originally motivated so much of this (getting VFP into all the built pieces because of a single lib.a that I couldn't rebuild) may not be a problem much longer.

Thanks!

--
Rick