Re: cygwin 1.5.24-2 gcc 3.4.4 stdio.h

Dave Korn wrote...

>> "-ansi" is meant to mask all the Posix stuff and just provide pure ANSI C89
>> headers.

>  Agreed.  I don't know if it's a goal of newlib to support strict C89
> conformance or not,

It's not a C compiler if it fails to even conform to the C89 standard.

> but I don't see how it could hurt to add a few #ifndef
> __STRICT_ANSI__ here and there.

They're already there in fact, just not accurate.  It's a bug, basically.
It probably used to work and someone broke it.

> http://sourceware.org/newlib/download.html
> gives you the instructions for checking newlib out of CVS to a local
> directory.

These sources are quite a bit different from what I am running in Cygwin.
So I modified what I was actually using instead.

However, there are fundamental design questions raised.  E.g. I started
copying the clock_t definitions from sys/types.h to time.h so that I could
mask out the include of sys/types.h from time.h.  That worked, but it may
not be a very nice solution, having the definitions repeated.

However, this one I had no answer for:

sys/signal.h has:

/* #ifndef __STRICT_ANSI__*/

#if defined(_POSIX_THREADS)
#include <sys/types.h>   /* for pthread data types */
#endif

So it obviously used to be set up to handle ANSI, but it was replace with
this _POSIX_THREADS.  I could reverse that change, but I don't know
whether that is the right thing to do.  Alternatively I could stop the various
files from including feature.h which is what defines that _POSIX_THREADS.

It really needs to have the design thought about in order to restore it to
actually being a C compiler.  On my Win 98 machine I have Cygwin
installed, a really old version that uses egcs-2.91.57.  But it at least
works.  I don't know of anything non-compliant about this compiler.
But this new version of Cygwin basically doesn't come with an
ANSI-compliant C compiler, while the one from many years ago does.

I am reminded why I am loathe to upgrade software.

BFN.  Paul.