Re: isatty()

Jeff Johnston wrote:
Vincent Rivière wrote:
Jeff Johnston a wrote :
_isatty is not one of the fundamental syscalls required by newlib. Remember that newlib's historical origin was to support embedded platforms and it only required a small set of syscalls to support the ANSI C plus miscellaneous functions. There is a rough isatty() implementation in libc/posix that uses fstat, not _isatty.

Platforms that have wanted it have typically just done so directly in their libgloss implementation or libc/sys (used before libgloss was created) or they use the libc/posix implementation or they use the default libgloss/isatty.c version (always returns 1) or they let libnosys resolve it (always returns 0) just to allow tests to link/run.

I understand. But there are 2 problems :

1) isatty() is currently fundamental, because without it, a simple printf() cannot link !
isatty() is used at the bottom of libc/stdio/makebuf.c

2) The isatty() implementation in libgloss/libnosys/isatty.c uses the wrong errno. It should only #include <errno.h>, without #undef errno, extern int errno.

Hmm, there are huge inconsistencies here. The isatty syscall hasn't been made compulsory like the other newlib syscalls in that there is neither _isatty or _isatty_r calls in the library, but it should have been or at the very least, something like the libc/posix isatty implementation should have been exposed to be overridden if desired.

The isatty in libnosys should probably be changed to be consistent with other libnosys syscalls and implement _isatty.

It will take some unravelling to see if adding _isatty_r will break things or not for existing platforms. For example, Cygwin is using the libc/posix isatty and also uses libc/syscalls which would override libc/posix in the case of the same object name.

I need to look at this a bit.

-- Jeff J.
Ok, I have checked in patches to both libgloss and newlib. I have tested x86-linux and mn10300. It should work the same as before for Cygwin and powerpcle-*-pe because the libc/posix directory supplies isatty which calls _isatty which is also supplied in libc/posix. The two stdio routines now call _isatty_r which is always supplied in libc/reent and calls either _isatty_r or _isatty. Again, Cygwin should not see a change since it will end up calling the _isatty implementation in libc/posix.

For x86-linux, it was also using libc/posix. I added a new isatty implementation in sys/linux which will override the posix definition. It works fine according to the test I performed. I might in the future want to not use the lib/posix directory and have the isatty also name _isatty.

I changed various libgloss implementations to rename isatty to be _isatty. Thus, they should hook up with _isatty_r as desired. These platforms were using the libc/syscalls directory which now has a isatty implemenation. Libnosys is also renamed its isatty to be _isatty. Consistent now.

If anybody finds a problem, just post it here.