Re: How was newlib supposed to have been used?

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 23:57 +0000, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:43 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > Neither, nor and all of it.
> >
> > newlib is a libc implementation.
>
> Yeah, I'm aware of this :/
>
> > I.e. it is a library providing a standardized API to resources
> > underneath, which applications might want to use at run-time, and which
> > toolchains (compiler/linker etc.) will want to know about.
>
> And this too.
>
> > What these resources actually are is secondary. They can be
> > "bare-metal", a full fledged kernel or other libraries.
> > Newlib can be and is being used in all of these situations.
>
> Right, so as I'm aiming for bare hw, am I going in the right direction
> to get *a minimal GNAT runtime* working for i386-elf (and mips[el]-elf)?

I don't know how to answer this.

GNAT, normally is a toolset implementing a programming language (Ada)
built around/ontop of a libc.

Leaving aside all other ugliness of GNAT, I am not sufficiently familiar
with Ada to be able to judge how far you can get without at least having
some OS-elements (processes, memory-management, io, etc.) available.

Ralf