From: newlib-owner@sourceware.org [mailto:newlib-owner@sourceware.org]
On Behalf Of Jonathan S. Shapiro
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 6:19 PM
To: newlib@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Bug (?) in sprintf family?

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 13:52 -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> The snprintf family of functions are all implemented in terms of
> _vfprintf_r, by constructing a pseudo FILE * to represent the string
> buffer whose _flags indicate that it's really a string buffer
(__SSTR)...

> I would think that things like calls to isatty() would be guarded by
> !(_flags & __SSTR)...

This is pretty much what I thought was going on. The problem is not that
isatty() is being called. The problem is that it must be resolved at
link time.

What I'm trying to ask is: should sprintf() and friends have any **link
time** dependency on isatty() and friends? Does the C library standard
state any position on this?

shap