Re: free() does not call sbrk()

> For a discussion on the design see: http://g.oswego.edu/dl/html/malloc.html
> which is referenced in libc/stdlib/mallocr.c

Thanks for clarification!

> My simple test of mallocing a block of 4000 and freeing it back again in an
> infinite loop results in the same pointer being given back each time and no
> increment in memory usage. ?I do not know why you are not seeing similar
> behavior for your test. ?Is there something else in your loop other than
> malloc/free? (mine has a printf as well)

Actually no. Please take a look at my code:

#include "UART.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

static void alloc (int size)
{
        char buf[128];
        int len;

        char *ptr = malloc (size);
        if (ptr != NULL)
        {
                len = sprintf (buf, "ptr: %d\r\n", (int)ptr);
                UART_write(0, buf, len);
                free (ptr);
        }
}