porting a function to a embedded system

Hello,

I am doing a project for the Nintendo DS, whose toolchain uses newlib.
I want to use a standard C function called gethostbyaddr (or
getnameinfo, since the other is deprecated), but neither of them are
implemented in the version of newlib that is included with the
toolchain (called devkitARM). So I was thinking in porting it by
myself. I have tried downloading the latest version of newlib and
tried to compile the function and its dependencies, but it does have a
lot of dependencies! Any one could give me a piece of advice, or some
help of how is the correct way of doing this things.

Thank you very much in advance.