Re: Problem trying to configure / build when using "--program-prefix" option

On 04/19/2011 11:23 AM, David Paterson wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Federico Terraneo<fede.tft@hotmail.it> wrote:

Thanks Federico, that works great :-)  I'd seen those listed in the configure
options so should have given them a try.  I did expect that setting the prefix
would point the configure system at the correct tools though...
--program-prefix is not what you assume it to be ... it is the "prefix" which is prepended to cross-tools when a package creates tools (application). As newlib is a mere library, it do doesn't build any tools, so --program-prefix is not meaningful to newlib.

That said, the toplevel configure script uses the value being passed to --target=<TARGET> as "program-prefix" of the toolchain to be used. I.e. if you are building for --target=<something>, it expects to find tools named "<something>-*" in $PATH.

Ralf