Re: build fails: missing ./etc directory, then "no rule to make target `install`"

Jose,

Normally one specifies a target like xxx-elf. Do you have a set of tools on your path for cross-development? For example, do you have a mips-gcc, mips-ld, mips-ar, mips-ranlib, mips-as, mips-readelf on your path? If you have mips-elf-gcc instead, then you need to specify mips-elf as your target. Otherwise, you need a set of cross tools installed somewhere that is on your path.

As well, the instructions for building newlib are out of date with regards to the top-level sourceware directory. I suggest you specify the targets: all-target-newlib all-target-libgloss install-target-newlib install-target-libgloss

So, this might end up being:

cd newlib-build
../newlib-1.19.0/configure --prefix=`pwd` --target=mips-elf
<when finished>
make all-target-newlib all-target-libgloss install-target-newlib install-target-libgloss

Hope this solves your problems,

-- Jeff J.