Re: POSIX 2008 C Extensions and restrict Keyword

On 07/09/2013 05:59 PM, Craig Howland wrote:
(1) From the notes, the restrict keyword was added for alignment
with ISO/IEC 9899:1999 which is C99.  The current sys/cdefs.h
defines __restrict which is conditionalized based on the compiler
and language version. Would it be OK to start sweeping __restrict
in per POSIX/C99?
I would think that we should want them in there.

Assuming that it is done, however, we should use restrict, not __restrict.  The
latter apparently dates from 2000 when the keyword was brand new.  Since it is
now pushing 14 years, I suggest that updating sys/cdefs.h to get rid of the __
is in order.  More than that, sys/cdefs.h is looking only at GCC versions.
This really would be better as a configure check, as you'd think that any
remotely recent compiler is pretty likely to accept restrict (whether it acts
on it or not).

I updated the "newlib/libc/include/sys/cdefs.h" to match the current FreeBSD version:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/newlib/2013/msg00242.html

This makes it easier to use code from FreeBSD (e.g. the network stack). I would appreciate it if we can keep the compatibility with the FreeBSD version.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09