Re: Sebastian's Patches Committed

On 10/25/2013 05:13 PM, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
More imagination needed!
1. Use <stdint.h> from GCC and do this consistently, or
What do you mean by consistently?  Using it within compiled code
in newlib, yes.  Leaking stdint.h by using it *in installed
newlib headers* is a bug, not consistency.  The identifier
leakage is an actual bug, as opposed to the fixed wart of not
actually using the gcc stdint.h within newlib.

So, I suggest that patch be reverted but I'm open to:
I don't like Sebastian's patch, either, but haven't actually tested it yet, to have a strong opinion about it.
2. do not use <stdint.h> from GCC and define the type system on our own.
3. derive the internal definitions from gcc stdint.h.

There is another option: derive newlib's types from GCC internal types when possible and fall back to using heuristics when GCC's internal types are not available. This is what newlib had done before Sebastian's patches.

Ralf