Re: RFD: selective linking of floating point support for *printf / *scanf

On 18 August 2014 11:35, Joey Ye <joey.ye.cc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joern, there is https://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2014/msg00166.html,
> which is already in newlib mainline. I think it solves the same issue
> in a slight different approach.
>
> Does it work for you?

No, this is completely besides the point.  avr-libc has had manual
printf variant selection
(requiring -u and -l options to the linker) for quite some time.
But this requirement for manual selection means that lots of dejagnu
tests fail; it also
means that a lot of software fails to work properly out of the box.

The point of my patch is to do an automatic selection inasmuch as this
is possible
with gcc noting where floating point is being used from looking at
*printf* / *scanf* calls in
isolation and passing the information gained to the linker to figure
out which implementation
to use.