Using debug information

I'm porting some POSIX software to NT, and I'm using the sourceware
pthreads library. My program is crashing in some strange places: e.g.
pthread_cond_broadcast, pthread_mutex_lock (is it blocking or crashing,
I don't know???). I suspect the reason for the bugs is because Linux
lets you do some things with the pthread calls that aren't explicitly
part of the standard...

At any rate, I'd like to use the debugging information in the pthread
library to step through the code as I come across it. However, since I'm
fairly new to building things from the command line in Windows, I'm
having a lot of trouble using the debugging code of pthreads.

I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 for compiling and debugging.
Currently, when I use the debugger I cannot step into pthreads code
(but I can step through my own code). I built my code with the /Z7
option so that I could step through it. I have no clue how to use .pdb
files instead. I've tried to place the vc50.pdb file in the same
directory as the pthread.dll library, without success. I also tried
building pthread.dll with /Z7 instead of /Zi, but that didn't allow me
to step through the code either.

Could somebody tell me which flags I need to compile my code, or what I
need to do with the Visual C++ debugger to step through the pthreads
debugging code (or, if I need to rebuild pthread.dll, what options do
I have to change)?

Lorin Hochstein
Xiphos Technologies