From: Alexander Terekhov [mailto:TEREKHOV@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Saturday, 26 October 2002 7:05 AM
To: Reddie, Steven
Cc: pthreads-win32@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Why does cond_signal not block until a waiter is woken like
cond_ broadcast does?

Steven Reddie wrote:
[...]
> pthread_cond_broadcast doesn't return until all waiters have woken.

Uhmm. Since when? Well, looking at the CVS stuff available here:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pthreads/pthread_cond_signal.c?
rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=pthreads-win32

I just fail to understand what do you mean saying "pthread_cond_broadcast
doesn't return until all waiters have woken".

Perhaps you can clarify it a little bit.

> Also, I can't determine from the POSIX docs if pthread_cond_broadcast
must
> be implemented in such a way that it blocks until all waiters have woken.
> assume this means it isn't specified, but if anyone knows please let me
> know.

Well,

A)
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/pthread_cond_signal.
html
   (don't miss "RATIONALE" bits)

B) http://www.linux.org.uk/~ajh/ols2002_proceedings.pdf.gz
   (Acrobat: "479 of 631", read on "futexes")

C) Consider the following stuff that might help you [as usual,
   modulo bugs and any thing(s) that I've myself missed and/
   or misunderstood] understand how it is all meant to work.

       http://www.terekhov.de/DESIGN-futex-CV.txt
       http://www.terekhov.de/DESIGN-futex-CV.cpp

regards,
alexander.