From: beckmann.bremen@t-online.de [mailto:beckmann.bremen@t-online.de]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 10:30 AM
To: pthreads-win32@sources.redhat.com
Subject: pthread_key_create destructor

Hi,

I have a problem with pthread_key_create ().
I'm using the latest(2002-11-4) pre-build pthreadVC.dll on Windows XP with
MSVC++ 6.0.
I wrote the following example to explain the problem:

#include <pthread.h>
#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

pthread_key_t key;

void destructor (void *ptr)
{
	printf ((char*)ptr);
	free (ptr);
}

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
	char *ptr;

	pthread_key_create (&key, &destructor);
	if ((ptr = pthread_getspecific(key)) == NULL) {
		ptr = strdup ("test\n");
		pthread_setspecific (key, ptr);
	}
	return 0;
}

I think, this is a valid example, and it works fine as a release version
but the debug version crashes inside the destructor() function .
The address of ptr inside destructor() is the same as inside main() but
when having a look at the memory pointed to by ptr, it is initialized to
zero at the end of main but unspecified inside of destructor().
It seems, that the address of ptr is already outside the applications
address space or somehow else invalid, so the destructor is called too late.

Thanks for any help,

Thomas Beckmann