Re: starvation in pthread_once?

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:11 -0500, Gottlob Frege wrote:
> Do you think it is worth avoiding the named_mutex in favor of a event
> only created on contention (my version)? (I do, obviously).

I agree.

Win32 mutexes are VERY slow, even for uncontended lock operations - that
is, about 50 times slower than a CriticalSection. I would guess that a
named mutex is even slower again. A CS is about the same speed as an
interlocked operation if it doesn't block.

I also think that generating the [guaranteed unique] name is a
complication that should be avoided if possible.

News:
I've dropped a new version of pthread_once into CVS (bumping the
library's version from 1 to 2, and dll's name to indicate an ABI
change). It's based on the code that Gottlob posted earlier:-
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/pthreads-win32/2005/msg00029.html

This code works fine without cancellation, but with it included, the
design's efficiency had to be downgraded a little. Threads waiting on a
cancelled initter thread must be woken to compete again to run the
init_routine. I couldn't find any way to manage the repeated
creation/reuse/closure of the event properly without a global CS, but at
least these sections are very short where it matters most.

See:-
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pthreads/pthread_once.c?
rev=1.10&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=pthreads-win32

Crucially, the event is still a per once_control object that is released
on successful return from pthread_once.

I plan on releasing one more pthread*1.dll snapshot to include
init_routine cancellability based on the global cond+mutex used in the
last snapshot, then a pthread*2.dll snapshot using the above code. (DLL
names change only when their ABI compatibility is affected).

Thanks.
Ross