From: pthreads-win32-owner@sources.redhat.com
[mailto:pthreads-win32-owner@sources.redhat.com] On Behalf Of Steve
Croall
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 02:03
To: Pthreads-Win32 list
Subject: Re: pthreads-w32 2.2.0 test failures

FYI I'm running pthreads on a number of multi-CPU machines.  My twin :(
  And three 8-Ways in the office.  It's also been run on a 32-way and it

has been given a damn good thrashing.

More and more of our server applications are being made multi-threaded.
  For example, two single-thread RPC servers in C have been
re-implmented as mulit-threaded RPC servers in C++.  From taking 25% CPU

load on a quad-machine I can now max-out most multi-CPU machines. Woo
woo :)

(The main problem we found was that RPC is not thread-safe so we had to
implement our own thread-safe version using Sun's implementation.  Even
the RPC on Solaris is not thread-safe.)

Our server applications runs on a number of different platforms (it has
been reduced).  Currently Windows, Solaris, AIX & HP-UX.  So this
project has been a help over a few years now.

We did find problems with older implementations, small bugs etc... that
have been fixed in later releases.

I'm a bit concerned about the pthread_once() bug though.   Have you a
test application that shows this problem or are the test applications
enough to show this?

Thanks, Steve Croall.

--

J. Senior Software Engineer, TIBCO BPM Group.
T. +44 (0) 1792 360773