RE: New pthread_once implementation

Nice catch. Let me see if I can fix it.

Note that the same problem exists in the currently released event-based
implementation (cvs version 1.16):

thread1 comes in, start initing
thread2 creates event, starts waiting
thread3 comes in starts waiting
thread1 is cancelled, signals event
thread2 wakes up, proceeds to the point right before the resetEvent
thread3 wakes up, closes event handle
thread2 resets closed handle

Re: you previous message:
>"If only one thread ever comes in, and is canceled in the init_routine,
>then the semaphore is never cleaned up."

If only one thread ever comes in, and is canceled in the init_routine, then
the semaphore is never created to begin with, right?

Also, regarding my previous comment to Ross about very high cost of using
InterlockedExchangeAdd for MBR:
I did some simple benchmarking. Running pthread_once 50,000,000 on my pretty
slow single CPU machine takes about 2.1 seconds. Replacing
InterlockedExchangeAdd with simple read brings it down to 0.6 seconds. This
looks significant.