Good Algorithm for "Multiple Readers"/"Multiple Writers"

Hi,

I'm looking for a good, performant algorithm for "multiple
reader"/"multiple writer" locking.

I'm in the process of writing my own but I would rather not fall into
any common pitfalls, especially since performance & scalability are
critical.

Is anyone aware of whether POSIX implements this type of lock?  I can't
seem to find any reference to it in the POSIX documentation.

Cheers, Steve.

--

J. Senior Software Engineer, Tibco Software Ltd.
T. +44 (0) 1792 360773