RE: sigaction & pthread_sigmask

I think so.  Semaphores might seem out of scope, but they're an integral
part of concurrent programming.  Signals need to be thread smart, so
they're naturally part of a thread implementation.
So are timers - attached is a pthreads compatible version of Posix
timers, but it's lacking the function of sending a signal to a thread
when a timer has expired.