Re: [RFC] Improve performance of multi-threaded debugging

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:19:57 -0700
Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com> wrote:

> Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com> writes:
> > The only fly in the ointment is that the signal based event model only
> > knows about thread creation, but not about thread death.  So it won't
> > catch thread death until some new thread is created.  I'm not sure
> > what the implications of this are in practice.
>
> Even in the signal-based model, we're attached to all the threads, so
> we should get a wait status via lwp_pool_waitpid.  Isn't that working?

It probably does, but do not know for certain.

I saw that the thread list was getting fetched on every status check.  My
assumption was that there was some good reason for this to occur and revised
the code so that it would only happen when so informed by the event model.
What I did not investigate is whether the thread refetch ever really needs
to happen at all.

Kevin