From: Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com>
To: Paul Leung <dragonpath@hotmail.com>
CC: dbhole@redhat.com, rhdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:24:03 -0500
Sender: rhdb-owner@sources.redhat.com

Paul Leung once said:
> I downloaded the iso from a mirror in hawaii into my windows machine. I
> burned it at 6x speed with my HP burner and EasyCD Creator software. I
> then tried to use it on my Redhat 8.0 machine.

I'm willing to bet that it was the fault of EasyCD Creator.

> The weird stuff that I found on the cd are these:
> The "Install" scripts were named "install" with a lowercase i.
> The "RHL-7.3" and "RHL-8.0" directories were in lowercase and they had a
> underline instead of a hyphen.
> I also think I saw that the execute permission was missing from all files
> and directories.

Yes, I think this was caused by your burning software. Can you get burning
working under Red Hat Linux? Alternatively, is your ISO accessible on a
hard disk to your RH installation? If so, you could just mount it on
loopback:

(do everything beginning with a `#' as root)

# mkdir /mnt/rhdb
# mount -o ro,loop <isofilename> /mnt/rhdb

Where <isofilename> should be replaced with the full path to the RHDB 2.1
ISO file.

The first option (burning under Red Hat) can be accomplished with:

# cdrecord -scanbus

this will display the current recording devices available.
Pick the SCSI ID of the CD writer ... it will be something like:

scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) ' ' 'CD-R/RW RW7080A ' '1.10' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) 'ASUS ' 'DVD-ROM E608 ' '1.40' Removable CD-ROM

where 0,0,0 is the one I want. Put a blank CD in your burner and:

# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 rhdb21-i386.iso

This should burn the ISO properly. Let us know what happens.

> Thanks for helping me. I've been a windows slave for a long time and when
> I started using linux, the first thing that hit me was how great linux
> people are with help and support. When I get good enough at linux, I'll
> pay it forward.

Glad to hear it!

Andrew

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus