Re: Xalan: gcj -vs- jre 1.3

Anthony Green wrote:

>Transform of rhug.rml via rhug-info.xsl took 219 ms

Do you understand, I hope, that this only measures the startup time
of the VM. This is where GCJ shines and where GCJ will be very useful.

Of course, nobody in is right mind will invoke the following command
to transform XSL documents in a production environment.

java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -IN rhug.rml -XSL rhug-info.xsl -OUT index.html -DIAG

What would be interresting is to "daemonize" the process, and see
how long it takes to transform a single document with a *running* VM.

And also, of course, since you used the latest GCJ, would you care
to do the same test with the latest JRE, which is 1.3.1_01 if I'm not
mistaken?

Cedric