Re: variables in scopes

Jim Keniston wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:58, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

& lvalue
* pointer

I definitely think we will be heading in the wrong direction if we let systemtap scripts use full blown "C" pointers directly. It is o.k to let them traverse datastructures using -> and . constructs but not full blown pointers. In my view allowing full pointers is asking for disaster in terms of the safety of the code.

functions calls -- to three types of functions:
a) SystemTap auxiliary functions (as currently parsed)
b) C functions in the context of the probed function
c) C functions (set off by yacc/lex escapes such as %% or %{...%}) that
are copied from the .stp file to the module's .c file.

I am certainly willing to limit it to this and then see what we have to
add later.  (c) above should buy us a lot of wiggle room, although it
leaves a hole in semantics checking.

- FChE

Jim