Re: Hitachi djprobe mechanism

Karim Yaghmour wrote:
>From the article's text:
> "The springboard approach requires chunks of scratch space (collectively,
> the springboard heap) to be conveniently sprinkled throughout the kernel,
> so that every kernel instruction can reach some chunk when using one of
> the suitable instructions ..."

Also, there's this bit I missed from the figure the text refers to as
containing the list of instructions that can be used for various architectures
(figure 4.6):

"None of the architectures has an ideal splicing instruction; either
displacement is insufficient (RISC architectures), or there is no
guarantee that only a single instruction is overwritten when splicing (x86)."

To the best of my understanding, the latter seems to imply that springboards
have the very same limitations mentioned earlier for djprobe.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits