RE: Systemtap scripts unable to compile on RHEL4 U2

Please see my comments below.

-Anil

>systemtap-owner@sources.redhat.com wrote on 2005-09-27 05:30:48:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I did a full install of the latest and greatest RHEL4
>> U2(2.6.9-20.ELsmp)
>> on x86_64 box. Trying to compile a simple tap script and
>seeing errors.
>>
>> Parsed 'do_fork' -> func 'do_fork'
>> Semantic error: no match for probe point
>>    while: resolving probe point kernel.function("do_fork");
>> Pass 2: analysis failed. Try again ......
>>

>> Am I missing anything here? Does this have any dependencies on
>> kernel-debuginfo RPM?
>> Also I did not find kernel-debuginfo RPM on RHEL4 U2 Beta CD's.
>>

>You need kernel-debuginfo RPM.
>
>You can download the kernel src RPM package from
>rhn.redhat.com, and then:
>  1. install the rpm package
>  2. build the rpm src package:  #cd /usr/src/redhat; rpmbuild -ba
>SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec --target=x86_64
>    to save your time, you can edit
>/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
>to comment one or more of the following defines:
>                #define buildup 0
>                #define buildsmp 1
>                #define buildsource 0
>                #define buildhugemem 0
>                #define builddoc 0
>                #define kabi 1
>   finally, rpmbuild will generate kernel-debuginfo, kernel,
>kernel-devel
>RPMs in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64

The above procedure is okay for the developers, but not advisable for
end users I think.
If Systemtap RPM is installed then all its dependencies should be met
else I think there is some
bug and people get confused.