Re: next steps

Hi, Richard

Richard J Moore wrote:
> However, for performance measurements, once need a mechanism that perturbs
> the system timing as little as possible - even if some events are lost.

I agree.

> I believe djprobes attempts to fulfil this need, but if my understanding is
> correct there are some unfortunate restrictions to its deployment.

As you understood, djprobe have some restriction. But I think
the restriction is not so huge. Djprobe can be used to probe
most of kallsyms address. I believe that is good enough to use
in the real work. And also we can use kprobes instead of djprobe,
when we need to put probes that can not be covered by djprobe.
So, djprobe can coexist with kprobes and it can be deployed, I think.

> So, I'm
> lodging a request that this issue be further discussed at the very least to
> determine whether there is a real need to address it, which I believe
> there. For example using the current mechanism to trace interrupts from a
> Gb ethernet NIC is not going to work particularly well.

All discussions are welcome.

Best Regards,

--
Masami HIRAMATSU