Re: DTrace for Linux

Martin Hunt wrote:

[...]
Unfortunately it doesn't run of my x86_64 dev system, so I had
to switch to an x86.
[...]

The syscall tapset has been tested on x86_64 with kernel 2.6.9-24.ELsmp.
I found that differences in architecture, kernel version, or configuration can
cause kernel.syscall.* { } to fail during compilation. The directory structure
has been altered in CVS to provide tapsets only for kernels & architectures
that I have successfully instrumented & tested.

First thing I notice is that the tapset sets "name" to different values
for the entry and exit probes. This makes matching them up a bit of a
headache. So I edited the tapset and removed the ".return" on the values
for "name" in the return probes. If no one has a reason why they should
be there then we should make this change permanent.

This is fine so long as probe alias wildcards are limited to expanding only within
the . (dot) characters. (See BZ # 1928)
For example: if kernel.syscall.* expands to all entry point aliases (kernel.syscall.*)
AND all return point aliases (kernel.syscall.*.return) then reference to "name"
would not differentiate between probes and return probes.

Unfortunately, then I got an error on from the syscall tapset on
execve.return.
semantic error: no match for probe point
        while: resolving probe point kernel.function
("sys_execve").return

So I commented out the whole sysexecve section in the tapset and tried
again.

This could be caused by the aforementioned differences in kernel version, arch,
or config options. More likely, this is due to the sys_execve.return being on the
translator blacklist. Jim submitted a patch that fixed the execve return probe issue.
(see http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2005-q4/msg00223.html)

--
Kevin Stafford
DES 2 | MS 2M3