Re: DTrace for Linux

>   gettimeofday                                                  32490
>   llseek                                                        47045
>   access                                                        94997
>   gtime                                                        111993
>   fstat64                                                      129067
>   lseek                                                        209131
>   select                                                       276210
>   alarm                                                        916786
>   stat64                                                      1093732
>   fcntl64                                                     1143852
>   getdents64                                                  1625671
>   rt_sigaction                                                2227934
>   write                                                       2336432
>   close                                                       2749497
>   read                                                        5171047
>   open                                                        5569743

This looks about expected. top uses /proc a lot and /proc is very
open/read/close/getdents64 intensive.  I suppose the writes are the console output.

Why it uses rt_sigaction that often I don't know but normally
this call should be fairly cheap - at least it is on Linux AFAIK.

Your numbers suggest it isn't quite on Solaris (it takes
a lot of time for not that many calls), perhaps
that is one area where the Sun folks can still improve.

-Andi