Re: systemtap cannot probe function defined in assemble language

"Mao, Bibo" <bibo.mao@intel.com> writes:

> [...]
> 	kernel.function("ia64_switch_to"){}
> And in my x86_64 box, it also can not probe kernel_thread() function.

What does "stap -v ..." tell you?

We may need a new probe point type name that is suitable for assembly
language probing, even in the absence of DWARF debugging information.
It would of course expose no normal $target variables, though could
perhaps expose registers.

A related question.  When building *.S assembly files in the kernel,
is the assembler being told to emit debugging information for them?
On some compiler versions, it's automatic (it turns "gcc -g foo.s"
into "as -g foo.s"), but others require an explicit "-Wa,--gdwarf-2"
CFLAGS.