Re: systemtap cannot probe function defined in assemble language

> We may need a new probe point type name that is suitable for assembly
> language probing, even in the absence of DWARF debugging information.

I'll leave the systemtap language choices to you, but I'm not sure this
necessarily needs a different flavor of probe syntax.  We could just make
it search for ELF symbol names as well as DWARF names.

> It would of course expose no normal $target variables, though could
> perhaps expose registers.

I just recently added to elfutils the library support for supplying target
register names, so this should be easy to wire up whenever you want to do
the translator work.

> A related question.  When building *.S assembly files in the kernel,
> is the assembler being told to emit debugging information for them?

It's not.  I could look into getting this turned on.  For systemtap
purposes, this is only worthwhile if people want to write probes using
specific source locations.

Thanks,
Roland