Re: rethinking syscall tapset

Martin Hunt wrote:

My current thoughts:

1. Don't use different directories for different versions like the old
tapset did. Unmaintainable. Almost everything goes in the main
directory. We can split it into two files, if we want. syscalls1.stp,
syscalls2.stp. Keep the syscalls alphabetical in the file(s).

Sounds good to me.

2. If at all possible, stick to standard kernel versions. No check for
2.6.15-1.1824_FC4, etc.

3. For arch-specific calls, like stat64() put those in
i686/syscalls.stp, for example

4. For new syscalls that get put in for different archs in different
releases, it may get messy, but they are rare.  Keep in the main
directory, not in arch-specific subdirs.

5. The real problem will be if we still run into compiler-related
problems where some variables are unavailable.

Should the translator be more forgiving (just generate warning) and go on?
I saw in some instances, the syscall argument names have changed from one version to another version. It is rare, but we still need to deal with it.

I'll try to work out the documentation format.

Should the documentation be included in the syscalls.stp? and we use some tools to generate the docs (similar to javadoc).

Then maybe we can split
the syscalls and each take half?

Yes, I will be glad to work on this.

Thanks, Hien.