benchmarking latency to create and install instrumentation

Earlier this week I added some instrumentation to the testsuite to record the amount of time required to do the various phases in the systemtap instrumentation. This information is generated for anything in the testsuite that uses lib/stap_run.exp or lib/stap_run2.exp.

There is a really stupid script, tests/tools/stap_metrics that extracts that information and can mail it off.

I have massaged the data from the FC5 nightly runs for i686 and x86_64 into an open office spread sheet. The i686 machine I am using is a relatively slow pentium III machine. The basic characteristic to note is that much of the latency is due to the build of the object code from the generated C code in phase 4.

I have attached the spread sheet to this email.

-Will