Re: patch for module function probe

If it is designed feature, then kernel.function("foo") will be regarded as module("kernel").function("foo"). But if there is one module named "kernel.ko", how to probe its function although its module name is weird? In another way to say what is the meaning of module("kernel").function("foo"), else stap manual clarify that module("kernel") means kernel image, user had better not use the same module name.

Li Guanglei wrote:
Mao, Bibo :
Hi,
    Currently systemtap has some problem when searching module
function, which is reported in
http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2006-q1/msg00674.html. Kernel is
treated as one module whose name is TOK_KERNEL "kernel". So this script
will pass to compile, it indeed will probe kernel function:
    probe module("kernel").function("sys_read"){
    }
But there will be problem when there is actually one module named
kernel.ko though its name is weird.

Bibo,mao

Actually, I think the expansion of module("*").function("foo") into kernel.function("foo") is a designed feature. It is especially useful for those compiled-in kernel modules. For example, in LKET, I can use:

probe addevent.scsi.iodispatching
= module("*").function("scsi_dispatch_cmd@drivers/scsi/scsi.c")

to let LKET work despite scsi_mod being compiled as a module or into the kernel.