Re: [perfmon] Re: perfmon2 TODO list

Hi -

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:33:27PM -0500, Kevin Corry wrote:
> [...]
> > just to add/refresh focus on one important perfmon requirement for
> > systemtap: a kernel-side API.
>
> As I mentioned in my previous email, it seems like we ought to be able to do
> just a little reorg, and provide an in-kernel interface that looks pretty
> much identical to the system-call interface [...]

Great.  One other thing: it would be great if there were a simple
callback-style general interface for handling sampling-oriented
interrupts: think of the profiling timer hook in the kernel.  Whereas
normal oprofile-style usage would collect a fixed pattern of data into
some standard buffer at such a time, systemtap would instead connect
these events to arbitrary user-specified handling logic running in
kernel space.